These brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts are sure to be a huge hit! They’re flaky, sweet and just the right combination of sugar and cinnamon.
As I got older I started to pay attention to the ingredients that were in the foods that I loved and wanted to find a way to recreate them at home with better ingredients. I’ve loved pop tarts ever since I was a kid. I ate them for breakfast and snacks even throughout my high school years. Now that I have kids of my own, they love eating pop tarts too. It’s usually one of their go to breakfast choices. It was nostalgic getting to make this childhood treat as an adult in my own home alongside my daughter.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts
What I love about this recipe is that it uses pre-made dough keeping the ingredients to a minimum plus they take less than 20 minutes to make from start to finish. Did I mention this recipe is vegan too?
- Frozen, flaky pie crusts or puff pastry
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp almond milk (regular milk can be used here too)
- Add all filling ingredients to a bowl and mix. Set aside
- On a floured surface, unroll your crust/pastry.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into a rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 6 even rectangular shapes.
- Add about 1 tbsp of filling to the center of the dough.
- Take the other piece of dough and cut into a rectangle.
- Then cut into 6 even rectangular shapes.
- Using your finger, dab the edges of the filled rectangles with water.
- Place the unfilled dough onto the filled dough.
- Use a fork to gently crimp the edges closed.
- Cook in the oven according to the instructions on the pie crust box. We typically bake for about 9 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let them cool on a baking sheet before frosting.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Drizzle the frosting over the pop tarts.
- For an added flair, dust with a layer of sprinkles or coconut flakes.