This simple oatmeal blueberry puree for baby recipe has only 4 ingredients and is packed with nutrients plus it takes less than 15 minutes to make.
Trevor has been eating solid food for about 2 months now. In the beginning we started out with store bought jar food to get our feet wet and to get him used to eating with a spoon. Once a little time passed and I was able to set aside more time to spend in the kitchen, I knew that I wanted to make his food on my own. I wanted to introduce him to organic, whole foods that were good for his body and made at home.
This oatmeal blueberry puree for baby was a huge it! It’s creamy and chock full of nutritious ingredients. It’s made with only 4 ingredients and no added sugars. I wanted to make sure that as parents we’re not introducing baby to things like sugar because our family has a history of diabetes and other health problems. It’s super important for babies to develop good eating habits from the beginning of their food journey. Instead the natural flavors in this recipe shine and T loves it so much! Rather than adding things like sugar to the recipe, I used the blueberry as a natural sweetener. Roasting the blueberries in advance enhances the flavor even more. You can use fresh blueberries or frozen. I find that using frozen has no impact on the flavor at all.
Check out each easy step below for how to roast the blueberries, prep your oatmeal and combine the two for a meal that you’ll want to add repeatedly to your baby’s meal plan.
Oatmeal Blueberry Puree for Baby
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup water (breastmilk or formula can be used as well. If formula is being used, the oatmeal must be used within 24 hours of preparing. If using breastmilk or water, you can freeze for up to 4 months.)
- Add oatmeal ingredients to your InstantPot.
- Cook on manual setting, low pressure for 4 minutes. Allow valve to slow release for up to 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir oatmeal.
**If you don’t have an InstantPot, you can cook on the stove following the directions on the packaging.**
Roasted Blueberry Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place blueberries onto a baking sheet.
- Roast blueberries for 10 minutes.
Blueberry Oatmeal Puree Instructions
- Add both the roasted blueberries and oatmeal to food processor or blender.
- Add 1/4 cup water.
- Puree until you’ve reached desired consistency.
**If the oatmeal isn’t the consistency you’d like, add breastmilk or water 2 tbs at a time until you’ve reached the desired consistency.**
Reasons to Love Oatmeal Puree for Baby
- It’s made from organic, whole ingredients
- Fun vibrant colors will grab your baby’s attention
- Full of antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals
- Can be frozen for up to 2 months
How to Store
This oatmeal puree should be stored in an airtight container. I like to freeze everything that I won’t be using within 48 hours. The freezer tray is my absolute favorite! You can freeze the oatmeal into cubes then transfer them into a Ziploc freezer bag and use the tray for another batch of baby food. I love these stackable cubes for storage too. They’re microwave and dishwasher safe so easy warming and cleaning.