A movie date night at home isn’t a new idea but I’m sharing a couple of ways that you can make a movie night special and certainly a night to remember. This post is sponsored by Cricut. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Movie nights are a regular thing in our house but lately we’ve been looking for ways to have more date nights at home. As much as I love getting dressed and going out, I really love staying home so much more. Staying home, especially when the kids are away, allows us to unplug and spend quality one on one time together. Sometimes movie date nights at home can get a bad rap because they become repetitive but with a little extra effort you can make the night extra special.
How to Plan a Movie Date Night at Home
1. Set a time and a place
There’s always a debate for us about where we’re going to have our movie night. My favorite place is the bedroom because I think it’s the best place. There’s nothing better than getting under the covers to watch a movie. It’s so relaxing and intimate. Most of the time, these days, we choose to have our movie date nights in the living room because we always fall asleep as soon as we get in the bed. Picking a time and a place makes our date night a priority and sets things in stone.
2. Pick your movie in advance
Every single time we sit down for a movie night, we flip through looking for movies for way longer than we should. Picking your movie before your movie night can save so much time. If you’re not sure what movie you’re going for, I always say go for a classic or highly rated new release. If you still can’t decide, you can do something like draw straws to decide who gets to pick the movie or write the names of the movies you’re choosing from on a piece of paper and draw a name. However you decide to do it, picking a movie in advance will save the stress of date night.
3. Create a cozy atmosphere
Make the space cozy with pillows, blankets, snacks and anything that will make the night easier for you.
How do you make a movie night special?
Customizing your movie night with something special like a movie sign and a date night crate. I love creating fun things like these with my Cricut because they’re easy to make and I can design things specific for each movie night if I want to. Over the years I’ve learned that it’s the little things that make date nights special. Since this date night was something that I set up as a surprise for my husband, with Trevor’s help, I wanted to do something that was out of the ordinary for us.
Movie Night Sign DIY
This movie night sign is super easy to make and perfect for beginners. I used my Cricut Explore 3 and white permanent vinyl to make this and it took me less 20 minutes. It was the perfect introduction to the movie date night that I set up for my husband and I. What’s great about this is that you can use any color vinyl or type of board to recreate this.
If you’re wanting to make your very own sign for date night, here’s what you’ll need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine: a Maker, Maker 3 or Explore 3 (if you want to buy a Cricut, read this post to find out which one is right for you)
- Cricut permanent vinyl (you can use Permanent Smart Vinyl if you’re using your Maker 3 or Explore 3)
- Transfer Tape
- Design Space (get the design file here – premium access membership is definitely a must)
- Cricut Weeding Tool
- Cricut XL Scraper
Once you’ve got all of your supplies together, your movie night sign is just a few steps away. Follow these steps to make your date night sign.
- Open up the file on Cricut Design Space. Adjust the image to the size of your board that you’ll be using.
- Using a (green) standard grip mat, place your vinyl onto the mat shiny side up. You can definitely skip this step if you’re using smart vinyl as using a mat isn’t required. You can also use removable vinyl instead of permanent if you plan on removing the design at some point.
- Transfer the image to the transfer tape once your design is cut and weeded.
- Adhere your image to the board using by placing the transfer tape (sticky side down) onto the board that you’re using. Your scraper tool can help attach the vinyl to the board.
Some other fun and simple DIYs you can make for movie night are movie tickets, popcorn holders, and stickers that you can use for a memory book. I created a movie date night crate with a memory book, stickers and a photo printer so that we could take photos to remember our date night.