My Washington DC Travel Diary is filled with all of our favorite places in the city that are a must see during your next trip to Washington DC.
Washington DC Travel Diary
Washington DC was so much fun! You read our bucket list, took a look inside of our fabulous hotel, now you get to read our travel diary filled with every place we think you should visit during your next trip to Washington DC.
There are so many different ways to get to Washington DC. We chose to fly this time with JetBlue. It was Tatiana’s first time on a plane so she was so excited. One thing I love about flying with JetBlue is that they are a kid-friendly airline. Our flight from Orlando was about 2 hours so it was the perfect first flight for Tatiana.
Where to Go
Washington DC has a plethora of things to do and places to see. The best thing to so that you don’t get overwhelmed or miss out on anything is to make a bucket list like the one we made here. Once your bucket list is made, you can go through and create a detailed itinerary. Be sure to schedule in breaks or leisure time if you’re traveling with young kids because they get tired from being out all day long. The last thing you want to do is wear everyone out. No one will have fun if they’re overly tired.
- The National Mall: Walking through the National Mall will give you goosebumps. It’s a reminder of our country’s history and all the men/women who have died for our freedom. One of the reasons the National Mall was on our bucket list was because it’s a great place to teach your children history.
- The Lincoln Memorial: Before we went on our trip to Washington DC, Tatiana was learning about Abraham Lincoln in school so we had to add his memorial to our list. The walk to the memorial was insane! It was exactly what I needed to remind me how out of shape I was but Tatiana loved the walk. It was freezing but reading her book about Abraham Lincoln in front of his memorial is a memory that she’ll never forget.
- Smithsonian Museum of Natural History: The Smithsonian has endless branches of history museums but we only made it to this one. Tatiana dreams of being a veterinarian when she grows up so it was the perfect opportunity to take her to explore a museum with animals and their natural habitats.
- The White House and The Capitol Building: A trip to Washington DC without visiting these two spots. If you plan your trip far enough in advance, you can request a tour of The White House through your state senator. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to take the tour but we did get to sit in a Senate hearing which was pretty cool.
Where to Eat
The restaurant choices are endless. Washington DC restaurants do a great job of incorporating their history into not only their menu but their decor. Many of the restaurants pride themselves on fresh, local ingredients which is definitely a plus.
- Juniper Restaurant: The Juniper Restaurant was our go-to during our trip because it was easily accessible in our hotel. The food is outstanding! The chef does an impeccable job with the menu each season and makes sure to utilize fresh, locally grown ingredients. They even make their own honey on the rooftop of the hotel with their own honey bees. Isn’t that amazing?
- Loggia Lounge: Loggia Lounge is a popular hot spot for millennials. It’s also a great place for happy hour and to unwind after a long day at work. You don’t have to stay at The Fairmont to enjoy their bar bites and beverage menu but I would highly recommend staying to experience the entire property.
- Ted’s Bulletin: Let me tell you, you haven’t lived until you’ve eaten at Ted’s Bulletin. Their housemade pop tarts are to die for. I ate one for dinner and took a few back to our room with us. Now, I’m wishing I would’ve taken some back home with us because they were that good! Their menu is filled with hearty and healthy options and has something for everyone.
- Georgetown Cupcakes: You can’t make a trip to Washington DC without visiting the famous Georgetown Cupcakes. Their cupcakes are delicious. This was probably one of Tatiana’s favorite stops during our trip. With over two dozen cupcake variations to choose from, you can’t go wrong. The half dozen cupcakes we bought were devoured within an hour back at our hotel.
We did a little highlight video of our trip to Washington DC. Check it out and subscribe to my YouTube channel while you’re at it. There will be a lot more travel videos coming soon!